The command centre for all breeding programmes fo RGCA projects
The Central Aquaculture Genetics laboratory (CAGL) of MPEDA-RGCA is housed at the technology Transfer & Training Centre of RGCA at Sirkali, TamilNadu.
The Major objectives of CAGL are
- The CAGL has the remarkable achievement of the identification of Indian mangrove mud crab species using multiple molecular markers for the first time in India.
- Genetic improvement and management of selective breeding programmes running by RGCA
- Implementation of molecular genetics tools for sustainable aquaculture.
- Development of molecular markers for aquaculture species and their products which could be benefit fair trade by providing traceability, verifiability, certification, guarantee and purity.
- The lab has already published the population structure analysis of Penaeus monodon using microsatellite loci in high impact international journal GENE.
- Hands- on training programme on “Application of Molecular Markers in Fisheries and Aquaculture”
- Sequencing service for aquaculture stake holders
- Awareness Campaigns on the importance of Genetics in Aquaculture
- Among University students, Researchers and Academecians.
Source : RGCA