A GIFT for the Indian Aqua Farmers
It is commonly known as ‘Aquatic Chicken’ is one of the most popular fish across the world with a growing global market of 11 to12% per annum
Tilapia culture is going on in 140+ Countries and the global production crossed 50lakh MT.
Tilapia Aquaculture is environmentally sustainable – ‘Green Aquaculture’, i.e. no fish meal required in the diet, no antibiotics and many farms use effluents for crops.
FAO described Tilapia as one of the most important food fish of the 21st century.
Highlights of Genetically Improved Farmed Tilapia (GIFT) seeds of RGCA
- Fully pedigreed selectively bred stocks
- High growth rate, survival rate and better fillet yield.
- Average genetic gain of 8.8 % in each generation
- Reduced FCE of 1:0.85% in 5th generation
- Suitable for both low density and intensive culture systems
- High rated flesh quality
- Production & supply of all male GIFT fry
- Production & supply of selectively bred GIFT broodstock
- Providing technical assistance for establishment of GIFT Satellite Breeding Centers
- Training programmes in breeding, seed production & grow-out farming of Tilapia
Source : RGCA